Monday, September 19, 2005

Little Things Make Great Advertising

Like most in communications/marketing/advertising, I'm a skeptic. I don't believe the news because I know the modern news game - and it's a broken system. Most efforts to target market me backfire b/c if I wanted to know about your product, I'd find it without your ugly flyer on my door, envelope in my mailbox, spam in my inbox or, worst of all, ring of my phone. I think most ads are horrible. The best seem to be ones that you can never remember who they're for. That's kinda a bad thing to spend millions on - something memorable, but does nothing for your brand or product.

Then there are those rare ads that can be so simple they break through and grab you.

On the way home I heard such an ad on the radio. Production quality was poor. Some local yocal insurance man rambling his Texas drawl. Then he said something about, "... what insurance companies don't want you to know is they're in kind of a soft market...". That sounded interesting, and i started listening. Then in closing, he delivered the line that made the ad: "... or visit my Web site: insurancecompaniesarestupid.com." I laughed out loud. It wasn't just how he said it - and he nailed the line - but the fact that he had the nerve to say it. I mean this guy has to work with insurance companies every day - he's an agent. And he struck a nerve with me - because I pretty much think all banks and insurance companies are running rackets.

Well, he earned a chance to earn my business. I visited his site, and filled out a form to get a homeowner's insurance quote. We'll see if he really can save me $.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home